Tuesday, November 15, 2011

On Farm Life

I've mentioned several times how I'm planning on getting a goat. What I haven't mentioned is I have chickens. Only a small flock, about 15 hens. I'm going to be getting about 50 more in the spring. In all our chicken farming we've never had less than 30 hens laying at one time. It's been a rough couple of years.

My chickens live in a chicken tractor. No it's not an actual tractor, it's a movable building that allows me to free range the  birds, while giving them protection, and containing the birds. Several times I've tried putting them in a stationary coop with access to air, fresh grass, and the outside. Every time, my birds were decimated!

My old chicken coop is just an old shed on the farm. It would be a perfect converted barn for the goat at night. Enlisting the help of my Daddy, we started converting the chicken building into a goat barn. In true klutzy form, last night, while cooking, I hurt my hand. I can't hold anything. I can barely move my fingers. It's visibly swollen, and it feels funny. Typing one handed is getting surprisingly easy.

Today, I was going to shovel all the old bedding, and crap, out of the barn, only to find out I can't hold the shovel. So, building is delayed, NaNo is lagging behind, and I'm stuck with icing my hand and laying around the house.

I like lazy days, but when I choose them, not because I can't do anything. I should be use to injury. I handle pain well, when it's in the appropriate area of my ankle. I can't handle pain anywhere else. In fact I'm a downright baby when it comes to pain.

I'm sure my Boss Man will want me to go to the doctor, but I probably won't go. I'll suck it up tomorrow, or Thursday, and start cleaning out the barn.

That's a little bit on my farm life. Now the chickens are cackling. It's time to collect more eggs.

No comments:

Post a Comment