Saturday, November 5, 2011

Blocked

Some of you may know that November is National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo or NaNo). Basically, you have 30 days to write 50,000 words. That's 1667 words a day. Easy peasy, especially for me.

I love to write. I love how freeing it is. I love how I can just escape into whatever world I create. I love frantically trying to make my word goal every night. I love trying to schedule my life around my story.

This year, I have an amazing idea, characters that are lovable and hateable, and a setting so complete I have maps. I know that sounds conceited, but the story is awesome, and I've been planning and refining it since September. Now, I'm five days into NaNo, and I've only got 4700ish words, which is a lot, but not where I need to be. I should be at 8335 words. My hang up? I lost my inspiration. It's frustrating.

I asked my Boss Man for help. He said he'd try, and ask what I needed help with. I told him motivation. Y'all are smart readers, I bet you know where this is headed.




Baby Girl says:
 I have 4759 words. What's my deadline?

Boss Man says:
 I want 5200 by the time you go to sleep.

Baby Girl says:
 That's crazy baby!

Boss Man says:
 Alright, I said 300 so 5059.

Baby Girl says:
 Kay. If I don't make it?

Boss Man says:
 10 hard swats.
At this point I'm starting to get a tad bit nervous. So let's continue.

Baby Girl says:
 When?

Boss Man says:
 Tuesday.

Baby Girl says:
 Kay. Before I go to sleep?

Boss Man says (8:16 PM):
 Yup.

Baby Girl says:
 Okies. Just to be clear. There is no time limit?
I'm starting to think I see away around this. I'm a night owl. I just won't go to bed. I'm blocked anyway, so it won't really matter. If it takes all night to write 300 words.

Boss Man says:
 No, but I want you to get some sleep.

Baby Girl says:
 Do I have to go to sleep?
And now I'm thinking, "Me and my big mouth. If I just let it go, everything will be good."

Boss Man says:
 Yes.

Baby Girl says:
 So I have a time limit. Care to tell me when that is?

Boss Man says:
 3. Watch your tone.
Now I'm extremely nervous.

Baby Girl says:
 I'm sorry.

Boss Man says:
 I love you.

Baby Girl says:
 I love you too.



So, instead of writing like I should be, I'm making a post. I'm a Grade A procrastinator, with no muse, and writer's blocked like never before. I have no idea why I didn't just keep my mouth shut, but I didn't. Here goes me trying to write 300 lousy words. I can do this. I do this in my sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment